A short post (it’s late – and I work at 9) after our staff holiday party – grocery stores don’t party in the big push before the holidays.
Who are these people? Getting to know them outside of work, hearing their stories, they become much bigger – surprising, yet I kinda knew there was going to be lots more when I got a chance to know them better. And I know that I have just barely scratched the surface.
- Katie talking about her twin passions – painting and cheese. I ask, “Could you hook me up with some new cheese? I’m a little bored with my regulars.” Her eyes get big. “I’d love to.”
- Charles talking about his passion for Kung Fu – especially exciting for me, because I’m going to start Tae Kwon Do (a related martial art) on Friday
- watching Cierra, our team leader, get down and have fun
- seeing Harlen, the toddler of our previous team leader Emmalea and her husband James – back to party with her old team – released from the shopping cart and running, dancing, being overall mesmerizing
- Hearing A lay down some really great music
- Charles (older than the kids), Tom (way older than the kids) and me (way older still) bust some moves on the dance floor that open some eyes. I was half-way down the stairs to leave when I said to myself, “You left without saying goodbye to anybody – what a depressive thing to do. You go back and say some goodbyes.” Then the sight of Charles and Tom jamming combined with A’s beats lured me out on the dance floor – first in my heavy winter coat, then with a couple layers stripped off.
And this old fart left at 10:30 – with another 90 minutes of party left. I could regret the opportunities missed, but in this moment – still typing at 12:39 – I will not regret leaving early. I had other work I needed to do at my computer before writing this. I think I have just energy enough to pull up a photo or two (I hate to post just straight words). Now there’s some kind of snag – I think a Word Press thing – with uploading photos. And backing out of that it looked like I had erased this whole post. I’m thrilled to have it back and am gonna go with straight text. It’s not even amazing prose, but I’m posting it. Hope it gives you a little glimpse of our party. (And then – at 1:15 – the photos finally did work. Geez, I gotta get to bed!)